Read about the 80 years of history Yamada Shadowless Lamps has crossed…
A Dream Beginning in an Old Wooden Row House
Founded in 1927 as Yamada Showado Kikai Ten, Yamada began as a surgical instrument retailer.
Soon after opening, Yamada began testing shadowless lamp manufacture, and after long hardship, finally managed to achieve commercial viability.
Yamada produced a variety of surgery light fixtures.
- Founder Keifuku Yamada opened a retail business called Yamada Showado Kikai Ten.
- Became a company specializing in surgery light manufacturing.
- Developed shadowless lamps SKY PANTOPHOS, SKY Charitique
- Developed Sankodai 11 shadowless lamp.
- Developed globe-shaped (adjustable & free standing) surgery lamps
Shift from Single-bulb to Multi-bulb Style
Yamada began work on developing the multi-bulb style of light popular in Germany. This marked the beginning of multi-bulb types in Japan, offering approx. 5 times the brightness.
- Incorporated under the trade name Yamada Shadowless Lamp Co., Ltd.
- Completed construction of 3-story head office building.
- Developed multi-bulb surgery lamp SKYLUX No. 900, shifting from single-bulb to multi-bulb style
- Developed SKYLUX NECTOR
Birth of New Type Light Sources
With the development of the sealed beam Cool-Ray bulb (CR), doubled conventional performance.
Afterward, the company set its sights on even more new products to allow easier operating table illumination.
- Developed the SKYLUX ACE using CR bulbs as light sources, creating a new best seller.
- Added a new 5-story + 1 basement floor building to the main office.
In response to the increasing medical schools with observation rooms, developed shadowless lamp system with attached color TV cameras and shadowless lamps for bioclean rooms. Units sold rapidly increased.
- Developed SKYLUX Halogen EXCEL using halogen bulbs.
- Developed dome-shaped surgery lamps SKYLUX Arch TV system.
- Reijiro Yamada appointed as the Company President.
- Developed surgery lamps SKYLUX SPACE for bioclean room use.
- Held ceremony to celebrate 50th anniversary.
- Developed ceiling recessed shadowless lamps SKYLUX ZENITH for bioclean rooms.
- Capital reaches 15 million yen.
Development of Key Product SKYLUX UNIVERSE
In 1987, began sales of original product SKYLUX Universe.
This marked a complete revolution in production, with high precision mass production achieved.It became our key product, with total sales exceeding 10,000 units.
- Added a new 4-story office building next to the head office grounds.
- Held ceremony to celebrate 60th anniversary.
- Developed flat multi-bulb halogen surgery lamp SKYLUX UNIVERSE
Halogen-sealed Beam Bulb Light Sources Winning Good Design Awards
As a result of our continued production in response to user requests, we’ve received a number of good design awards.
We released the new model SKYLUX COSMIC series, using halogen bulbs in their sealed beam light sources.
These achieve high color rendering at normal temperatures by absorbing infrared rays.
- Good Design Award KYLUX OUTER SPACE convection resistant shadowless lamp
- Good Design Award SKYLUX NOVA Ceiling
- Held ceremony to celebrate 70th anniversary.
- Good Design Award SKYLUX GLORY
- Developed flat multi-bulb halogen surgery lamp SKYLUX COSMIC
Towards a new style of multi-bulb surgery lamp
As sales of single-bulb styles became dominated by imported goods, Yamada put all its efforts into original multi-bulb styles, and developed the SKYLUX SPACE Lab.
And on to the age of LED… We developed the SKYLUX R9 in pursuit of better color rendering.
- Acquired ISO9001 certification.
- Developed single-bulb halogen surgery lamp SKYLUX Celesti
- Acquired a METI “Grant-in-aid for Research & Development of Creative Technology” (18.17 million yen)
- Passed ISO9001: 2000 Transition Exam
- Developed free standing multi-bulb halogen surgery lamp SKYLUX SPACE Lab
- Completed new Saitama factory
- Developed LED surgery lamp SKYLED R9 and small LED clinical lamp Clover
2010 to Present
2010 to Present
Seeking for Accurate Illumination Gentle on the Eyes
In 2008, with the establishment of a new management system, we moved our business forward while honoring our history and traditions. From now, we will continue to offer “gentle light that illuminates accurately” for optimal medical light, and continue to undertake the challenge of creating new corporate value.
- Moved the main office from Yushima to Nishikanda, Chiyoda-ku.
- Good Design Gold Award SKYLUX CRYSTAL
- Began construction of Medical Lighting Lab.
- Developed IXM